Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cough Syrup

I am down in Florida, enjoying some sunshine, and my mom develops a bad cough. Over-the-counter expectorant cough remedies suppress the cough and do not address the underlying problem. I learned about this onion cough syrup you can make but never actually made it and then thought no one better to experiment on then my mother! Well, after 2 days she swears by this easy homemade remedy and says I "cured" her......

This is simply what I did.

Cut up 1/2 an onion into small pieces and placed in a cup. Topped with organic honey until the onions were covered. Let it sit over night. The mixture will be thinner in the morning. Press out all the fluid and take a teaspoon 3 x per day.

The onions remove mucus and honey is wonderful for the immune system

I think in the future I would even add a little ginger......

3 comments:

  1. k this might be a stupid question but here it goes, heheh . Can it be any type of honey or does it have to be organic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it needs to be raw honey, or unpasteurized.

    ReplyDelete