Saturday, July 7, 2012

Chai Vanilla Cupcakes

I'm heading to a friend's for a girls get together tonight and made these fabulous cupcakes. I honestly can't remember where I got the recipe from and I altered a few things. They were chocolate cupcakes but I am partial to vanilla so I left the cocoa out. I also did not have Earth Balance so used good butter instead. They turned out super cute.
I had some pretty good helpers (until I found them with the sugar carton being poured directly into their mouths!!)
 
remember how fun it was to lick the egg beaters or wooden spoon??
Vegan Chocolate Chai Tea Cupcakes
Ingredients:
For the cupcakes:
1 c. almond milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/3 c. vegetable oil
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
For the frosting:
1/2 c. Earth Balance vegan margarine (or butter)
3-4 c. powdered sugar
2 chai tea bags
2 tbsp. boiling water
2 tbsp. almond milk
1/4 tsp. salt
Directions:
For the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the vinegar with the almond milk and let sit for five minutes. Whisk together the almond milk/vinegar, oil, sugar and vanilla. In another bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add wet to dry and mix until combined. Pour batter into greased cupcake molds and bake for 25 minutes, or until springy. Let cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
Beat the Earth Balance until soft. Brew the tea in the two tablespoons of boiling water and let sit for ten minutes to steep. Then, add the almond milk. Add that mixture, plus the powdered sugar and cinnamon to the earth balance and continue to beat for 10 minutes until very light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes.
Makes 12 cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment