Wednesday, May 29, 2013

jewish penicillin.

they call chicken soup, jewish penicillin.   it has been noted that chicken soup has a long held tradition of curing the common cold and flu.
last year i finally got my dad to teach me how to make his delicious chicken soup, which the kids always devour.
i actually don't eat it but am told that my chicken soup is just as good (if not better, oh my!) than saba's.
thought i would share the secret.
i think it comes down to the amount of water you put in and my father claims, you need to use kosher chicken bones.
so this is the pack. if you look close on the far right side it says .718 grams. basically for every 100 gram weight of chicken bone, i add 1 cup of water. so for this bone i added about 7.5 cups of water.
you then need to bring the chicken bones and water to a gentle boil and skim off all the grey sludge that collects on the top until it is basically all gone and the water is clear.
my helper peeling vegetables
then you can cut up all these vegetables and add them to the pot
1 zucchini
2 carrots
1 sweet potato 
(my dad does not put this in as he says it makes the soup sweet. but my kids like it)
2 parsnips
2 celery stalks
1 whole onion
 reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour. it should look like this.
at the very end you can add some fresh dill and peel the meat off the bones and discard the bones.
you can also cook little noodles to make a classic chicken noodle soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment