Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Quackery?

I am mystified with those is society that have a hard time accepting naturopathic medicine. They often use the term 'quackery'. There was an article reported yesterday by the CBC saying PCB's were found in fish oil capsules (http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/03/02/consumer-fish-oil-pcb.html) and somehow this spawns into naturopathic medicine being unscientific. If you want to ensure a good quality fish oil call the company and ask them to send you their third party testing on that particular product. If they do not know what you are talking about, avoid the request or never actually send out the information, I would be skeptical about this product.

I only use high quality products (and yes, this is often reflected in the price) and I want to ensure that I, first, do no harm and by giving my patients contaminated products I could be doing just that.

There is plenty of research behind many natural products and I encourage you to refer even to PubMed where you can find many well researched articles.

Bases on my clinical practice I feel very confident in the healing powers of our medicines. I recently had a 75 yr. old male patient who was diagnosed 4 years ago with prostate cancer have an MRI and he is now cancer-free. He never did a single round of chemotherapy or radiation. This summer, a 70 year old patient of mine was in a terrible accident where she had 'severe' brain damage and was never going to be herself again. I went to visit her in the hospital and was completly shocked and upset by her mental state. I brought her the remedies she needed and after 3 days she was a different woman! Thankfully today she is in every way as she was before the accident and is considered a 'walking miracle' to the medical community (if they only believed in the right remedies!). I have helped several women unable to conceive, coming to me in desperation after several failed IVF's and now several of them have healthy babies with more to be born this summer!

For me, naturopathic medicine is our future and I see the benefits in clinical practice and at home everyday.

4 comments:

  1. Those are some amazing stories Rachel! I think anyone who uses the word "quackery" to describe naturopathic medicine is speaking out of fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know, i agree, i just didn't want to open up that can of worms!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that article. Couldn't find the term "quackery" or anything related to anti-naturopath in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was not in the article itself, rather the comments that people make in regard ot the article. there was an article published a few months past in the national post entitled something like naturopathic medicine and quackery. i linked it to my facebook so you can search that.

    ReplyDelete