Saturday, August 6, 2011

Dr. Oz and Lemons....

Below is a complaint I sent to the Dr. Oz show after watching a segement and discovered an incorrect answer.

My name is Rachel and I am a licensed Naturopathic Doctor in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I was disappointed to see Dr. Oz claim that lemons are acidic and thus not a useful treatment for sore throats (this was a segment done last week with 2 audience members being quized.) In fact, in nutritional medicine lemon is considered an alkaline food, I understand that the litmus paper will turn red prior to consumption, however when metabolized internally the lemon becomes alkaline. (I am sure your researchers can find ample information on this topic)
Lemon is in fact a traditional throat remedy used by many cultures and when mixed with honey (a natural anti-biotic) can be very soothing to sore throats. I would appreciate a correction to your viewers with proper information on lemon and not simply an answer of lemon is not useful for sore throats as "it is acidic" (besides being incorrect, it does not provide useful information to the average person). In health, Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment