Saturday, September 10, 2011

Summer Holiday and Tomato Sauce.....

It has been a little while since I have been in this space.  It has been busy!!  We went away in mid-August to a farm with our friends in Prince Edward County.  We had such a wonderful time.  There was this amazing garden that we were free to help ourselves to and there were literally hundreds of tomatoes, potatoes to be dug up, brocolli flowers, and squash.  The kids had a great time running into the fields and picking a part of dinner.
 just on the other side of the road is the garden

My good friend's E and R were with us and both are phenomenal cooks.  I learned a lot watching them quickly prepare delcious meals.   I decided to try make a homemade tomato sauce from all the freshly picked tomatos.  I boiled a pot of water and dropped about a dozen tomatoes into the pot for about 30 seconds to help deskin them.  I peeled the skins off and de-seeded them and threw them in a pot.  I had been slow cooking some onions and added these with some fresh garlic and basil and let it stew for about 2 hours.  It was amazing! The picture below is from Ewan's bday dinner.  I brought home some tomatoes and made it again for his family.  What was so amazing was the garlic was from our friend's farm and the basil from our garden.
Here are a few other shots of our trip
dexter in the open field
3 boys and a girl at sandbanks
his furry friend

Can't wait to do it all again next year!  How was your summer holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment