Monday, March 5, 2012

Birth Day.....


I was starting to think this baby was going to come soon.  Aidan was born at 37 weeks and Bella at 38 weeks and as I approached 38 weeks in this pregnancy I knew things were going to happen.  It was just the day before I got our bed all set up with the plastic cover for our planned homebirth.
I have never had any 'signs' that labour wass approaching....more like BANG! here it is....

Monday February 20th, exactly 38 weeks at about 3 am I had some pains, I just thought they were the usual Braxton Hicks I had been feeling for months now.  I went back to bed.  Around 6 am I thought maybe they are a bit more intense but still went back to bed til 7:30.  Then at 7:45 I literally felt a rush like an inflated balloon and POP my water broke.  I knew things would intensify quickly.  The kids were picked up, the midwives arrived and the labour began.....

This labour was hard.  I mean really hard.  I know they are all hard but I really was not sure how I would get through it.  The contractions in the lower front were so intense and I really wanted an epidural.  I never thought about an epidural with A and B.  I also knew that I would never make it to the hospital to get pain relief as the baby was coming.  At 11:37 am our little boy was born.  He decided to come out 'sunny side up' also known as Occiput Posterior. He was head down but facing up instead of down, making for a much harder labour.  Makes sense now.  OP labours tend to be longer as the baby's head does not fit as nicely in the pelvis and you tend to have bad back pain, which thankfully I did not. You can see from the picture above his forehead would be applying pressure to my lower abdomen, intensifying the contractions and the back of his head pushing on my tailbone....which is still sore from the birth.

Here we are now, March 5th, my actual due date.  Our sweet Kai William Schwartzman Miller born at 6 lb 15 oz on February 20th, 2012. So far he is a 'good' baby.  I know they are all good at this point he is still in his newborn slumber.  Just planning to take things one day at a time.  I know how fleeting these days can be and it is the last time we will have a newborn in our family.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your birth story Rachel. So amazing of you to have dealt with the pain and gave birth to such a beautiful baby! Hope you are continuing to enjoy the babymoon! Oh how short lived they are... Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for sharing your birth story! Kai is such a lovely baby and I am so glad you got your home birth!

    ReplyDelete