Monday, March 19, 2012

The Humble Oat

The humble Oat (Avena sativa) is one of our most nutritious foods, it contains proteins, vitamins, minerals and trace elements that nourish the nerves, support the metabolism of fats, and uplift the spirit. Oatmeal is known for its high iron and fiber content and decreases total cholesterol levels.   Another amazing benefit for new mamas is that oatmeal helps to increase your milk supply!

I ate oatmeal when pregnant, not because I loved it but because it was good for me. Since having baby Kai, 4 weeks ago today (time does fly!) I have been loving the oats.  Not so much as oatmeal but as homemade granola (http://forhealthyroots.blogspot.ca/2011/01/homemade-granola.html) and today I made these amazing granola bars, so I thought I would share.
 3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup grapeseed oil (next time I am going to try some coconut oil)
2 tbsp molasses
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 cup chopped raw almonds
1/2 cup dried raisins or cranberries
You really could add any nut, seed or dried fruit combination!

Mix honey, oil and molasses and bring to a boil. Let it cool a bit slightly.
Mix dry ingredients.
Mix wet into dry and press into a shallow rimmed baking sheet that has been lightly oiled or lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 12 minutes at 375F
Let cool and cut into squares.

I think I ate half a tray today. You do burn 500 calories per day breastfeeding a newborn after all.....



No comments:

Post a Comment