Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A Walk-In Clinic on St. Clair West

I had this woman call me today in complete desperation. She had been to a walk in clinic on St. Clair West and had a terrible interaction with the MD. I knew right away who she was talking about and asked if she had gone to Solutions Health Care Associates. I had been to this walk-in clinic myself and remembered how awful this doctor was. It was my wedding day. I had strep throat and needed a quick prescription. I was educated in medicine and knew what I needed so his terrible bedside manners did not affect me.

This woman saw him yesterday in terrible pain, from what I believe is an infected site. She told me that he barely assessed her, as in he sat across the room from her and then simply sent her off with antibiotics. She woke up this morning worse and was unable to cover the wound due to restricted movement and went back to see him. She waits to see him and he tells her, that it is not the MD's job to put on a dressing and to continue with the antibiotics. She is in excruciating pain, visibly upset and desperate for help. She tried to see her family doctor but could not get an appt. for 2 weeks. Welcome to Canada and free health care.

She came to see me a few hours after him. I looked at the site and noticed how fire red it was. There was spreading of reddness with defined margins from the area, as well as it feeling warm to touch.  She was also in excruciating pain and had limited range of motion. My slightest touch elicited pain. I sent her to the ER for a proper assessment and treatment plan. I will call her tomorrow to see how she is doing. It breaks my heart that this was her experience and that our system treated her this way.  

She told me how compassionate I was. It's kind of her to say that, but really all I did was attentivley listen and genuinely try to help her. I made eye contact, passed her a tissue as she sobbed and sat beside her for reassurance. It took all of about 10 minutes. It does not take that much effort to help another person in need. I am going to approach this MD tomorrow morning to tell him negligent and hurtful he was. I'm sure he won't give a sh*t but I'll feel better.
keep you posted.....

No comments:

Post a Comment