Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Cascade of Interventions

I went to a birth on Saturday. It was the first birth I had been to as a naturopathic doula since a little after Bella was born. It made me remember how great my own birth stories were and although they were 'painful' I was happy with my childbirths. I had homebirths for both the kids and I felt comfortable with my decision. I also wanted to avoid the epidural, not to be a martyr, but to avoid the cascade of interventions. The birth I was at this weekend did just that. The mommy-to-be decided to get the epidural quite early on in labour. Well, that epidural not only took the pain away but took her contractions away. So in comes our friend oxytoxin/pitocin to bring back those contractions that were lost. Well, 15 long hours later.....she and her husband head to the Operating Room for a C-Section. And this is what we call " The Cascade of Interventions". Once we introduce one drug in labour, namely the epidural, it can follow with oxytocin and end in a c-section. I am not saying this is how it always turns out and I know many women who have an epidural and do not have C-sections. What I am saying is once you start this reaction you have a greater chance of getting a c-section than if you go au natural. My opinion would be trying to wait until labour is really established ie. 5 cm before getting the pain relief you desire.

Here are a couple of shots from when the kids were born. It made me nostalgic for that time (but just for a brief second!!)

baby aidan

baby bella

2 comments:

  1. Their colouring is so different. Aidan looks so blue in those first few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's bella several hours later.....there was no way i was showing the pictures of myself right after the birth, i look like a witch!!

    ReplyDelete