Friday, April 30, 2010

Summer Fresh

I made this salad today. It was inspired by a similar salad I had at a good friend's a few days ago and I could not stop thinking about it. It was delicious! I often don't use recipes and just put flavours together. This one turned out fresh, packed full of medicinal properties and the kids loved it!

A few words on Basil. This herb has so many wonderful properties. It is a digestive aid and is wonderful for the Immune system. It's great for clearing out the Lungs and useful for colds, bronchitis, asthma and coughs. (Aidan recently had an asthmatic episode....crazy....this will be a post on it's own). Basil also helps the adrenal glands adapt to stress and I think we can all use that!

Summer Fresh Orzo Salad
3 cups of orzo boiled for about 10 minutes
Lightly steamed Asparagus and Broccoli
Onions and Garlic finely chopped and sauted in Olive oil
I then mixed the orzo with the onion and garlic and then added in the asparagus and broccoli.
I added in a healthy handful of chopped Basil, sliced Black Olives and 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
I seasoned with Sea Salt, Pepper, Apple Cider Vinegar, and fresh Lemon

Voila!
Some key Ingedients
All mixed up
Coupled with a piece of fresh trout and dinner is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment