Friday, October 21, 2011

Spiced Carrot and Lentil Soup

I enjoy having soup but must admit I put all this effort into making a good soup and am usually left somewhat disappointed.  I will eat it but Ewan is never a fan and often opts for a canned option (ouch!).  Then I discovered this mixed vegetable lentil soup and it is delicious!!  Ewan even asked for me to make a second pot (unheard of!).  So I thought I would share it and if you do make it, let me know what you think!


 Spiced Carrot and Lentil Soup
 1/8 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp cinnamon
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 cups carrots, chopped
2 cups butternut squash, chopped
1 sweet potato, chopped
8 cups of water or stock
½ cup almond milk (can be cream or any milk alternative)
¼ cup fresh basil
¼ cup fresh cilantro
2 cups of green lentils (I cooked this first in a separate pot)

  1. Add olive oil, garlic, onion, curry, cumin and cinnamon to a large pot and sautee for a few minutes
  2. Add in celery, carrots, squash and sweet potato and sautee for a few more minutes.
  3. Add 8 cups of water or stock, bring to a boil and then simmer on low for about 45 minutes.
  4. Once vegetables are soft, puree with a hand blender.  Then add in almond milk (or alternative), basil, coriander and lentils.
  5. Blend again. 
  6. Season with salt and pepper
  7.  Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment