Thursday, December 8, 2011

Busy in the Kitchen

Aidan had a PA day today and played lego with a friend all morning.  They were so involved in their Star Wars world, I don't even think they knew I was downstairs!  I had a few quiet hours to myself in the kitchen and got so much done!  Maybe this is an early nesting period..... Here is what I made.....

1. Vegan Macaroons  These were super easy to make and delicious!  I got the recipe from http://www.selfishvegan.com/2010/07/macaroons/
I think they might just end up being holiday gifts to a few lucky people. Give them a try!

1/2 cup organic cane sugar
1/4 cup almond milk (can use soy or rice if a nut allergy)
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp salt
I mixed the above together and then added

1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut
6 tbsp flour (your choice, next time i am going to try Bob's gluten free blend)
Make into small round balls and bake at 350F for 15minutes.

2. Banana Bread Revisited.  
When I first stared blogging (nearly 2 years ago!), I posted a vegan banana bread http://forhealthyroots.blogspot.com/2010/03/banana-bread.html that I love making.  I have since altered it slightly by decreasing the oil and omitting the sugar!  Here is the new recipe.....

3 ripe banana, mashed
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup oil (I used grapeseed)
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (you want the mixture not too runny and not too dry)
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking salt
I then add some vegan chocolate chip, about 1/4 cup

Bake for 350F for about 40-50 minutes in a loaf pan or until golden brown on top. The loaf was gone within the hour!

3. I made the Lentil Soup with Root Vegetables again....it really is a big hit!
http://forhealthyroots.blogspot.com/2011/10/spiced-carrot-and-lentil-soup.html

4. Lastly, I got a few more stitches completed on these sweet leg warmers I am making for Bella with a few more pairs as holiday gifts for some of my favourite little girls!  I've said it before, we all have enough so I like to include homemade gifts!  My friend Jill (sayyippe.blogspot.com) posted this pattern and since I am a crocheter, they were pretty easy to make. http://www.coatsandclark.com/NR/rdonlyres/24C37DAB-05B6-4B4A-AA20-191B1BD2E627/161610/LT2346.pdf
Now I think I need a nap......

No comments:

Post a Comment