Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Eat like the French....

Listening to CBC the other day in the car, I heard Karen Le Billon discuss her life of raising 2 children in a small French town, and how this experience led her to writing the book "French Kids Eat Everything" http://karenlebillon.com/.  In France she claims, children do not get snacks (what, no fishies!!) they eat at regular meal times, they eat what is put on the table, there is no such thing as "kids food" and it is one meal for all!  She was saying how kids eat mussels, radish salads, beets and 'stinky' cheeses.  The next day for dinner I made what I wanted, I am by no means gourmet, far from it, rather a practical cook.  We usually eat quite healthy but I keep in mind what they like.  This night I made exactly what I wanted. Here is what I made.....
cauliflower, tofu, potatoes,quinoa salad and brussel sprouts
and here are my children eating it! (they even had a friend over and he too ate happily!)
Honestly, I was a suprised.  I had a back up plan of quickly cooking some frozen hot dogs, but they gladly ate all the tofu and vegetables! I'm sure we all know what they might have chosen if they were given the choice but this is what was on the table and they went for it! (with a side order of ketchup of course....) Try it and let me know how it goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment