Friday, June 15, 2012

Garlic Scape Pesto


I planted about 30 cloves of garlic around halloween and have been waiting for the scapes to come up and curl. I really have no idea what I am doing.  I've been letting them do there thing and reading up on the internet. Some sites say you cut them after they curl and some before. Cutting the scapes allows the energy to go to the bulb and not the flower.  Mine are all at different stages of 'curling' but yesterday I went out and quickly snipped them off with simple kitchen scissors. It was recomennded you cut them around noon on a hot day so that the 'wound' is quickly cauterized by the heat. So technical!!
Now that I have all these scapes I decided to make garlic scape pesto. I cut off the flower bits and used the main stalk.
I added a few tablespoons of olive oil, a few tablespoons of parmesan cheese and about a 1/4 of fresh lemon juice. I blended for about 5 minutes and it was done. It is perfectly spicy and delicious spread!
 
Now I need to figure out when to pick them??

No comments:

Post a Comment