Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Israel seen through food

Kai and I went to Israel for 11 days. We had a great time. It was great to see family and wander the streets with no schedule. The food is amazing! Everything is so fresh and grown locally. Israelis don't eat fast food.  Even Starbucks had to close down! I felt so great eating a Mediterrean diet. Here is a link from the Mayo Clinic on the benefits of such a diet.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mediterranean-diet/CL00011
I had no dairy (they tend to eat soft cheeses which i don't like). I ate lots of hummus, tahini, falafels, freshly made pitas, bourekas and baked goods. We also had tons and tons of salads; red and white cabbage, cucumber and tomato, carrot, beet, corn, eggplant, plus hummus, tahini and babaganoush.  Often in restaurants they would bring out about 15 salads plus dishes and I would feast on these! Then they come by and ask what you want for the main course and I would pass as I was stuffed. There are also juice bars everywhere!  Amazing. I drank a fresh juice daily with some highlights being; mango/lemon/melon, carrot/celery/beet/apple/ginger, watermelon/mint and the surprise shake when i would just ask them to make me something good!  
 juice bar
 yet another juice bar
 BEST hummus from Abu Hassan in Jaffo. Google this place and you will find endless tales of this place. When asking a local woman for directions and about the hummus, she replied it's like something from the heavens!
 the endless toppings to falafels; cabbage, carrots, olives, pickles, cucumber and tomato salads, tahini
 fresh burekas
 fresh bread! israelis never buy bread in a pre-packaged bag
 my heavenly juice
 nuts as a healthy snack! you find these kiosks everywhere.
traditional israels breakast; eggs with green onions, cream cheese, tuna, salad, olives, freshly baked bread, freshly squeezed juice

now i am hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment