Saturday, September 15, 2012

Week from Hell

What a week!! It actually started last week when Aidan had some tummy issues. Then on Sunday, he had a toothache. I decided to go to an Emergency clinic to get him assessed. This nice dentist told me his teeth were in terrible shape. I told her he had 4 small cavities that were filled years ago and she replied that currently there were no fillings and they have gotten quite bad. The thing is we have been seeing a family dentist regularly for years now and just 4 months ago he told me Aidan's teeth were fine. No cavities. All was good. Keep up your good work.  His current state took WAY longer than 4 months to get to this point. We got a second opinion on Monday, it too was grim. She could not help me and sent me to a pediatric dentist. On Tuesday, the pediatric dentist's asssessment was not good. I cried. I kept hearing words like "extraction", "pulpotomy" "crowns" and then the dollar estimation.  OMG!  How did this happen? We floss daily. We brush. No lollipops. No gummi bears. No jelly beans. No pop. Limited juice. I know, I am mean. Thursday morning, I had a meeting with my family dentist to discuss how we got here. (another long story...). Thursday afternoon we went to the pediatrician as Aidan needed a Pre-Op physical exam. I thought I was going to collapse. 5 medical appt. in 5 days! I was so tired and thankful that all these appt. for now are behind us.

I wake up Friday morning refreshed, ready to take on a new day and Bella starts throwing up. Again and again. It's 8am.  She was zoned out and basically foaming at the mouth. She was freaking me out. I also had no clarity anymore. We went to the pediatrician, she too was concerned and said a terrible virus is going around that consists of 12 hours of intense vomiting. Great. 11 more hours to go. She recommended an anti-vomiting drug. I bought it. It was very, very expensive. Our insurance paid for it and I thought I would rather have it at home if I felt I needed it then need to run out and pick it up with a sick child and baby in tow. I read the box when I got home and discover it is used after chemo treatments. I mentioned that I had no clarity, right?  So, I set the box aside and grab the homeopathic remedy Ipecac. It is now about noon. Bella passes out for an hour, wakes up and is totally fine! Hungry and happy. Her first mission was to take off her pyjamas and put on her dress, leggings and fairy wings. She has been fine ever since. It was a good reminder to trust the healing powers of nature and our body's own healing mechanisms. Here she is on the mend.
 
 Here`s hoping next week is smoother.

2 comments:

  1. OMG. THat IS awful. Everytime we take a child to the dentist it's a nightmare....a different story every time. It's so stressful. Fingers crossed next week is better for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. he gets general anasthetic next friday (happy bday to me!) and then it should be behind us. our family dentist was very negligent and he is actually paying the bill!!

    ReplyDelete