Sunday, July 20, 2014

a sick kai kai.

It's amazing. One minute your kid is happy and avoiding bedtime, the next they wake up in the middle of the night hot and miserable. That was me last night with Kai. This morning, so tired and with basically one eye open, I checked him out.
Ears; clear. Lungs; clear. Mouth. Yup. Swollen glands.
I did a rapid strep; negative. (will send one out to the lab tomorrow morning for a more accurate test).

Most likely it's viral. I gave my usual combo of basic supplements and homeopathics (aconite was my first for its acute onset with fever). I also did the much beloved (insert sarcasm here) cold wet sock treatment. I will blog about it this week.
I use this wonderful product made by John Redden, a local herbalist in the junction, that is wise beyond belief. His company is called Viriditas and he makes a Children's and Adult's Cold and Flu product that tastes great and is wonderful when the little ones are sick.
A few herbs to highlight. 
Eupatorium perfoliatum, also known as boneset. It is immune boosting, a febrifuge (reduces fevers) and a diaphoretic (brings forth sweat) and soothes aching bones.
Usnea is a potent antibiotic (as well as anti-viral and anti-fungal). Think of this herb as the anti-"anything".
Glycyrrhiza Glabra (licorice root), has so many wonderful properties, but to highlight in this case; immune stimulating abilities to fight viruses and anti-inflammatory properties to soothe the inside of the mouth and respiratory system are amazing.
The slew of berries, are nutrient dense and thus are nutritive to the body in a time when it needs it most, and well echinacea, we are all familiar with that one.

If you are interested in trying this product out or having it on hand at home, just get in touch with me.

So.... that's what I've done so far. We'll see how that day goes. I do love my sleep and hope tonight is smooth sailing.....


No comments:

Post a Comment